From 19 March to 3 April 2016, the Rotondes invite to an exhibition in the context of the award called LEAP - Luxembourg Encouragement for Artists Prize Awarded every two years to an artist, after deliberation by an international jury, the LEAP award aims at helping artists who show an innovative approach in the contemporary creation and in the current scene. It's about helping these artists in their evolution towards a greater professionalisation with a view of international success.
This year, four finalists have been retained by the jury following a call for applications at the end of 2015 on the website rotondes.lu, namely: Justine Blau, Julien Grossmann, Sophie Jung and Vera Kox. They will present their work at a common exhibition. The day of the vernissage on 17 March, the young Luxembourg artist Sophie Jung has been proclaimed winner.
The LEAP award is worth 12,500 euros and is supported by the consulting firm Allen & Overy. In total, 89 applications had been submitted to the jury for the 2016 edition.The jury is composed of:
- Emmanuel Latreille, Director of the Regional Fund of Contemporary Art Languedoc-Roussillon (Fonds régional d'art contemporain Languedoc-Roussillon), Vice-President of CIPAC/Federation of the Professionals of Contemporary Art - France (Fédération des professionnels de l'art contemporain - France);
- Estelle Pietrzyk, chief curator at the Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art of Strasbourg (Musée d’art moderne et contemporain);
- Christoph Tannert, art director of the Künstlerhaus Bethanien, Berlin;
- Zoë Gray, main curator at WIELS, Centre for Contemporary Art, Brussels (Centre d’Art Contemporain);
- Patrick Majerus (collector).