'Summer in the City' is exactly that. From 21 June to 7 September 2016, Luxembourg City celebrates the most beautiful season in the year. For this festival, the Luxembourg City Tourist Office plunges the capital into a sparkling, festive atmosphere, for the greater pleasure of its inhabitants, commuters, and tourists.
A whole city celebrates the summer
For three months, there's open-air concerts, international-class music festivals, street theatre and arts, folklore events, and popular festivities, as well as tourist attractions.
Highlights of the 2016 festival include:
- 21.06.2016: Summer in the City Opening Act and Fête de la musique. Visit Luxembourg City, dive into the festive atmosphere and visit one of the free concerts: At the concert Knuedler Goes Classic, Beninese artist Angélique Kidjo performs together with the Luxembourg Philharmonic Orchestra (Orchestre philharmonique du Luxembourg, OPL) conducted by Gast Waltzing – a combination which won one of the prestigious Grammy Awards in 2016! Also, don't miss the DJ on the Plateau du Saint Esprit or the concerts on the Place d'Armes, just to name these. It's an evening to remember!
- 22. and 23.06.2016: Festivities for National Day. Luxembourg's national holiday is an occasion for concerts and a whole range of popular festivities in addition to the official events.
- 11.07.2016 – 23.07.2016: OMNI music festival. From Iggy Pop to Guiseppe Verdi – this yearly festival brings together stars on the forecourt of the Neumünster Abbey, against the splendid backdrop of the Unesco-registered fortifications.
- 16.07.2016: World MeYouZik Festival. The MeYouZik world music festival reflects society in Luxembourg City, a cosmopolitan, multicultural capital city par excellence, where 67% of the residents are not Luxembourgers, representing 170 different nationalities; the festival offers music by bands from all over the world at three open-air venues – the Place Guillaume II, the Place Clairefontaine, and the Rue du St-Esprit.
- 17.07.2016: Rock um Knuedler Festival. On the day after the 'MeYouZik' Festival, the free open-air rock music festival 'Rock um Knuedler' takes place. 20 groups are competing for public attention on three stages in the city centre of Luxembourg – this year sees Marlon Roudette on stage, among others! The 'Rock um Knuedler' Festival has been organised since 1990; it is one of the pillars of the rock/pop music scene in the Grand Duchy, attracting around 15,000 spectators each year.
- 23.07.2016: Blues'n Jazz Rallye. The Blues'n Jazz Rallye offers about fifty free concerts at about thirty open-air venues, concert halls, cafés and restaurants. From 7 p.m. until 3 a.m., the streets of the picturesque districts of Grund and Clausen at the foot of the fortress of Luxembourg are transformed into a gigantic open-air stage.
- 13.08. – 14.08.2016: Streeta(rt)nimation. This free-entry festival celebrating the fantastic and comedy attracts thousands of spectators every summer, and transforms pavements and public spaces into vast outdoor stages. Luxembourg City's pedestrian zone in the city centre becomes a theatre for all sorts of street animation.
- 19.08 – 7.09.2016: the Schueberfouer, a major funfair attracting thousands of fun-loving visitors, takes place on the Glacis in Luxembourg-Limpertsberg. Come for an evening of thrills, good deals in the Allée Scheffer, and especially for the Fouerfësch (fried fish, traditional dish of the Fouer).
Moreover, the Villa Vauban's park is the setting for concerts in a decontracted atmosphere for the series 'Klassik am Park', on 14 July, 11 August and 10 September.(article written by the editorial staff of the portal luxembourg.lu)