The Information and Press Service of the Luxembourg Government (SIP) and the National Institute for Statistics and Economic Studies of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg (STATEC) have just launched the Exploring Luxembourg app.
Available for free from the App Store, Google Play and Windows Store in French, German and English, Exploring Luxembourg provides a broad overview of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg in all its diversity. The short texts are illustrated with numerous photos, maps and interactive graphics.
Content accessible offline
Once downloaded, the application can be accessed offline, meaning it can be used anywhere, even without an Internet connection. You essentially navigate the app by swiping vertically (within the same chapter) and horizontally (between chapters). Navigation through subchapters containing multiple pages is possible using arrows or by selecting a specific topic. It is also possible to zoom to display details or text in a larger format. Available for tablets and smartphones, the app will be updated regularly to show the most recent data and news.
A diverse range of content to present Luxembourg
Exploring Luxembourg offers a diverse range of content:
- A general overview and history of Luxembourg;
- Geography: natural and tourist regions, nature parks and climate;
- Population: population structure, demographic evolution, multicultural society and religion;
- Languages: use of languages and recognition of the Luxembourgish language;
- Labour market: active population and unemployment, sectors of employment;
- Quality of life: income and poverty, social security, safety of people and goods, leisure activities;
- Culture: UNESCO references, literature, theatre and dance, music, cinema, visual arts, photography, architecture, festivals and traditions;
- Politics: institutions, elections, judicial power, armed forces and national symbols;
- International: major international organisations, development assistance, humanitarian aid, the European Union and the Greater Region;
- Economy: advantages of the country, important economic sectors and other economic sectors;
- Mobility: means of transport and cars.
Each topic is explored in a clear and concise manner, and there are numerous links to the portals www.luxembourg.lu and www.statistiques.lu as well as to other websites on offer. As a result, the user can learn more about a specific topic and then easily return to the app.