From 19 to 26 November 2017, Luxembourg will participate for the first time in 'Orange Week', an event devoted to combatting violence against women. The aim is to raise public awareness about legal, professional, political and economic situation of women throughout the world.
Time for everyone to rally together!
The programme includes exhibitions, cinema evenings, public conferences, debates with teenagers, training for social workers and self-defence lessons. What's more, buildings will be lit up in orange and a great 'Orange March' will be held on 25 November to mark the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women. Following a public call by Luxembourg's Minister for Equal Opportunities, Lydia Mutsch, a number of public institutions, NGOs, associations and private companies expressed their support for the event by organising various initiatives:
- lighting up public buildings, monuments, tourist sites, headquarters and private company premises in orange as a visible symbol of the commitment made by Luxembourg's public authorities and its economic and financial sector against this scourge in society;
- participating in the 'Orange March', a public display of solidarity with all the girls and women who have fallen victim to violence. This event will take place in Luxembourg city centre form 11 a.m. on 25 November to mark the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women;
- organising activities on the topic of violence against girls and women (conference, evening debate, exhibition, cinema evening, reading evening, etc.);
- organising other activities, the proceeds of which will go to the Luxembourgish section of Zonta International, which will subsequently fund projects and initiatives conducted by national and international organisations working to combat violence against girls and women;
- providing infrastructure (conference rooms, foyers, exhibitions areas, etc.) so that events can be held as part of 'Orange Week';
The event is organised jointly by the Ministry of Equal Opportunities and the Luxembourgish section of Zonta International as part of the UN's UNiTE project. This campaign was launched in 2008 by the UN Secretary-General with a view to raising public awareness about violence against girls and women and to put an end to gender-based violence. Ever since, NU Women has invited all gouvernments, NGOs, individuals, the media and the private sector to unite in support of this topic each year on 25 November, i.e. International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women.
(Source: press release of the Ministry of Equal Opportunities)