Version française |     | Advanced search
Print this page | Send this page

Residence and work permit

Context box end

Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MAE)
12-16, avenue Monterey
L-2163 - Luxembourg
B.P. 752
Phone:(+352) 24 78 40 40
Fax: (+352) 22 16 08

Found work in Luxembourg and wondering what documents you need? This page offers a comprehensive summary of the necessary steps to take.

EU citizens and individuals enjoying the Community right of free movement

EU citizens and nationals of Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Switzerland may enter Luxembourg simply by presenting a national identity card or a valid passport. They have the right to stay for three months. If they wish to stay longer, they must be employed, self-employed or enrolled at a public or private educational institution. If this is not the case, they must prove that they have sufficient funds - so as not to have to rely on the social welfare system - and have health insurance coverage.

Access to the labour market is open to EU, EEA and Swiss nationals. Restrictions do however apply for Romanian and Bulgarian nationals.

EU, EEA and Swiss nationals must furthermore register at the local council in their place of residence to apply for a “Residence Permit for a National of an EU Member State” or file an application for a “Foreigner’s Identity Card”. This card is usually delivered for 5 years and is renewable on request.

For more information, please refer to the brochure "You are a citizen of the European Union. Welcome to Luxembourg".

Non-EU citizens

All nationals from non-EU countries wishing to stay in Luxembourg for up to 3 months require a valid passport and some need a Schengen visa.

Non-EU nationals wanting to stay in the Grand Duchy for up to 3 months must fill in an arrival certificate at the local council of their place of residence within three days of their arrival.

For stays exceeding 3 months, they must apply for a temporary residence permit from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as an employee, self-employed person, student, pupil, intern, researcher or family member before they arrive in Luxembourg. If granted, this permit serves both as a residence and work permit.

For more information, please refer to the brochure "Welcome to Luxembourg. Information guide for third party country nationals and their families".