Statistics put the Grand Duchy near the top of the list of countries for the number of cars in relation to the population, and there has been a constant increase in road traffic in recent years.
To drive a vehicle in the Grand Duchy, the following are compulsory:
- possession of a driving licence appropriate to the class of vehicle used;
- registration of the vehicle concerned;
- possession of a roadworthiness certificate;
- payment of the motor vehicle tax;
- and possession of third party liability insurance (responsabilité civile, RC).