Did you arrive in the Grand Duchy recently and would like to apply for recognition of your level of study and your diplomas? Would you like to have your higher education and/or university diploma recognised in the Grand Duchy?
To gain access to certain functions and professions it may be necessary to have the higher education diploma you obtained abroad approved or registered.
Have you perhaps acquired knowledge and skills during your professional career through training courses or during internships, in your leisure time, or when carrying out voluntary work? It is possible to have this recognised officially under a new scheme: the validation of non-formal and informal learning (validation des acquis de l'expérience, VAE).
Recognition of level of study and diplomas
Recognition of a foreign certificate or diploma is not automatic; it is decided on an ad-hoc basis.
If you arrived in the Grand Duchy recently and would like to apply for recognition of your level of study to be able to continue your studies here, you may contact the Department for the Recognition of Diplomas at the Ministry of National Education, Childhood and Youth.
Learn more about: 'Getting your degree, diploma or professional qualification recognised' on Guichet.lu (in French or German).
Approval of a higher education and/or university diploma
Higher education diplomas obtained abroad are recognised formally either by listing in the register of higher education titles, or by approval.
- More information on approval can be found on the website of the Centre for Documentation and Information on Higher Education (Centre de documentation et d’information sur l’enseignement supérieur, CEDIES).
- Learn more about: 'Getting your degree, diploma or professional qualification recognised' on Guichet.lu (in French or German).
Listing of a diploma in the register of certificates
Listing in the register of higher education certificates entitles holders to make public use of their higher education title and attests the duration of their studies and the value of their diplomas.
- You will find more information on the listing of a diploma in the register of certificates on the website of the Centre for Documentation and Information on Higher Education (CEDIES).
- Learn more about 'Applying for the recognition of a degree, equivalence of diplomas and equivalences of professional qualifications' on Guichet.lu (in French or German).
Validation of non-formal and informal learning (VAE)
The validation of non-formal and informal learning (VAE) can be used to assess and recognise a wide range of skills and experience acquired throughout a person's life in various contexts, such as in education, at work and during leisure time, in order to:
- obtain certificates or diplomas required to embark on a training course;
- shorten the length of training required;
- obtain a title, certificate or diploma in full or in part;