As a result of the Law of 8 March 2017 on Luxembourg nationality, the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg now has a new legislation concerning nationality. The new Law entered into force on 1 April 2017.
Under the new Law on Luxembourg nationality, there are two ways of possessing or acquiring Luxembourg nationality:
- possession of Luxembourg nationality by origin;
- acquisition of Luxembourg nationality by naturalisation.
The acquisition of Luxembourg nationality implies accepting rights and obligations.
Where can you find information about the new legislation regarding Luxembourg nationality?
an on-line dossier: www.mj.public.lu/nationalite/index.html (in French);
- guichet.lu, the administrative guide of the Luxembourg state, explains the administrative procedures concerning the acquisition or recovery of Luxembourg nationality.
How can you obtain Luxembourg nationality by naturalisation?
The main conditions for obtaining Luxembourg nationality are:
- having reached 18 years of age;
- minimum period of residence of 7 years;
- a Luxembourg language test for people who have not completed 7 years’ schooling in the Luxembourg education system;
- compulsory attendance at a citizenship course.